Thursday 26 January 2012

.:.Did you hear?.:.

Have you seen the show Friends? I've recently been watching some re-runs. About halfway through season 5, the character Jennifer Aniston plays, Rachel Green, makes a new years resolution not to gossip. There's a line in this particular episode where she wants to share that a co-worker became pregnant, but realizes that it would also fall under the gossip category and so decides to keep it to herself. It struck me as odd, because I don't think I've ever given a second thought to sharing if my friends are engaged or pregnant. Baby's are blessings and gifts from God, and weddings are joyful occassions, and I love to talk about happy things like these. But it dawned on me as a result of watching this character wrestle with gossip, that it really isn't my news to tell.
Gossip needn't be false to be evil -
there's a lot of truth that shouldn't be passed around.
~Frank A. Clark


I'm often tempted to justify my gossip or slander with these two false qualifications:

1. If I just tell one person...
2. I'm speaking truth, so it's not gossip...
Can you relate?

 
There are many warnings in scripture about slander and gossip.

 
James 4:11
Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.


Proverbs 20:19
A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid anyone who talks too much.


Proverbs 16:28
A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.

The warnings and consequences are obvious.
I need to strive to do better in this area. Will you join me?


Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.:.


This post is linked to WLW's Wednesday Link Up Party. Link up too!

No comments:

Post a Comment