Monday 1 August 2011

.:.Prince Charming.:.

Disney got it wrong. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m a huge fan of Disney. I’m in my early twenties and still watch the movies from my childhood every once in a while. Alright, I confess, it’s more often than that. In doing so however, I’ve realized that they’ve done the romance world an injustice.
Prince Charming. He is an almost silent character and therein is the oxymoron.
Prince: A status of nobility, honor and respect.
To charm: The power or quality of giving delight or arousing admiration. (Who/what is charm attracting anyways?!)
Looks can be charming, from cottage settings to handsome men; we can’t deny that Disney overflows with men of healthy builds. But charm is also something that falls under rhetoric; an art adopted by many salesmen and salesladies.
“Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain…” Proverbs 21:35
Deceitful: Deliberately misleading others, typically on a habitual basis.
I don’t know about you, but charming, by looks or speech, is not a character trait that defines my ideal man. Nor is charming how I want to be described. Charm is deceitful. Charm is misleading. We are both of us, men and women, co-heirs with Christ, as we are adopted by the King. This gives us the inherited titles of Princes and Princesses. How we live matters. Let’s replace charm with character of integrity.
Integrity: The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness. Truly, integrity is how a princess and prince should be defined. Perhaps Disney didn't follow this path because “Prince Integrity” just didn’t have a charming ring to it...
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.:.

No comments:

Post a Comment